Points of Interest/ Museums
|Ice Cellar of the former Beuing Brewery with an
information centre "Ice Floe"–
A cultural and tourist attraction Münsterland wide, Gooiker Platz
The spacious cellar system of the former brewery has several stories underground in which ice was stored and casks of beer fermented and matured. For some time the lowest story has been home to endangered species of bats. In 1996 the ice cellar was placed under protection as a historical monument. Under the auspices of the Regionale 2004 it was expanded and an information centre was built. A transparent pavilion constructed out of dark steel and shimmering green glass, reminiscent of an ice floe, is the entrance to the ice cellar. In the entrance pavilion an exhibit presents the history of the Beuing Brewery and the ice cellar as well as a show on the multifold "blessings of cooling". The inhabitants of the ice cellar, the bats, are described in the exhibit.
In the winter months (October to April): by appointment
In the summer months (May to September):
Sundays and holidays from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m., Saturdays from 1 p.m. to 5 p.m., workdays by appointment.
The last guided tour begins at 4 p.m.
Gemeinde Altenberge, telephone (00 49) 25 05 82-32 or 82-33
|Citizens’ Hall (Bürgerhaus), Kirchstraße 13
Judging by its style, the building probably dates from ca. 1840. It represents the type of building that combined living quarters with farming use, a house that was once common in Münsterland. It is a late, ethnologically valuable example of its kind. The building houses a restaurant and serves the town as a community center used for various functions, courses and exhibitions. The so-called "Upkammer" (upper-room) is used for marriage ceremonies.
|Plettendorf House, Teichstraße 4
The nurse of the great Westphalian poetess Annette von Droste-Hülshoff (1797–1848) lived here. Visiting only outside.
|Heimathues "Kittken" with its storehouse and baking house, Friedhofstraße 9
A former farmhouse. Last used as a jail cell and a policeman's residence.
|Krüsellinde (Lime Tree) – The symbol of Altenberge, Alter
Münsterweg (in front of the street number 47)
This 300 year old lime tree was the site of a "Freistuhl" (the chair of an open air Vehm Court) during the time of Charlemagne.
|Motorists Chapel "Madonna of the Road", Waltrup (directly on the road L510 to Münster)
Built in 1952/ 53 by the shooting-club Grinkenschmidt (Schützenverein) to honor war victims.
|Roman Catholic Parish Church Hansell (Nepomuk Chapel), Hansell (directly on the road K67/ L529)
Established by Canon Jodokus Franziskus Homeier in 1767.
|Roman Catholic Parish Church St. John the Baptist, Kirchstraße
Gothic hall church from the 15th century with two side alters by Gröninger.
|Sieverding House, Waltrup 151
(directly on the road K 50 to Hohenholte)
A historic building of yellow sandstone, originally used as a fortified storehouse. It was converted to a residence hall used in the summer months by the Jesuits in Münster in 1661. Unique due to its form.
|300 year old Dutch eight cornered windmill,
A working mill in the farming community of Hansell.
|The Tractor and Farm
Implements Museum (Schlepper- und Geräte-Museum Altenberge e.V.),
Kümper 110 b (directly on the road L874 to Billerbeck)
The Tractor and Farm Implements Museum is housed in the former factory of the firm of Wesseler OHG, which produced farm equipment and tractors. The well-known Wesseler tractors were made here from 1936-1966. The history and customs of everyday life and work of the recent past are the subject of this expanding exhibition.
For more information see the Website of the
Schlepper- und Geräte-Museum Altenberge e.V. and the museum flyer.
Lindenstraße 8 (on the corner of Siemensstraße)
The museum contains a large collection of minerals and fossils from the ice age that were deposited on the Altenberger Höhenrücken (the ridge in the north-east of Altenberge). Some of them are quite rare.
Further information can be found in a museum flyer.